H.E.A.T. Organizing Internship
The New York Hotel Trades Council, AFL-CIO (NYHTC) is the union that represents 30,000 hotel, restaurant, and gaming workers in New York City, upstate New York, and northern New Jersey. NYHTC is the strongest union, with the best contract, for hotel workers in North America.
The New York City hotel industry has been experiencing a prolonged construction boom and it is vital to our members, and to those who work without the dignity of a union contract, that we maintain and improve union density in our industry. This year we plan to launch a new, long-term program to organize non-union hotels in the city on a large scale. Mobilizing our 30,000 members will be essential to winning this ambitious campaign.
We have built a rank-and-file leadership structure called the Hotel Employees Action Team (H.E.A.T.) System. The purpose of the H.E.A.T. System is to increase the participation of the membership in the union and to greatly enhance the union’s ability to mobilize our members for large-scale action, in order to organize non-union workers, to fight for higher wages and better benefits, and to increase the rights of hotel workers.
We are seeking to hire a number of energetic, intelligent and dedicated individuals to work as interns in support of these goals under the supervision and direction of a H.E.A.T. System Supervisor. They will have the opportunity to work directly with the union membership, learn internal union organizing first-hand, and gain exposure to a powerful and effective local labor union.
Responsibilities will include support of all aspects of the operation of the H.E.A.T. System, which may include:
• Recruitment and training of rank-and-file leaders (H.E.A.T. Captains and Network Leaders)
• Member outreach and mobilization
• Information management and tracking that provides the department with valuable tools for organizing
• Preparation of written communications to rank-and-file leaders and members, and the public
• General support for field operations and campaigns
• Logistical support for a wide variety of union events, including strikes and picket lines
• Boycott research
This internship offers the possibility of permanent employment. Resourceful and committed interns who distinguish themselves will have numerous opportunities for interesting and rewarding work.
• Demonstrated commitment to social justice
• Ability to motivate and inspire others
• Willingness to handle a wide range of dynamic responsibilities
• Ability to communicate respectfully and comfortably with people from diverse backgrounds
• Ability to multi-task and work efficiently
• Ability to learn quickly and grow into positions of greater responsibility
• Thorough attention to details
• Willingness to work hard and put in long hours when necessary
• Reliability, and a cooperative attitude
• Experience not needed
Interns will be paid a stipend of $14 per hour, with overtime pay. The union will sponsor students for academic credit when applicable.
H.E.A.T. intern applicants will be accepted on a rolling basis. Specific start and end dates will be determined based on the union’s need and each intern’s availability.
How to apply:
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter. Cover letters should be limited to one page and they should explain in specific terms the reasons for your interest in the internship. Applications should be sent to email@example.com.
The New York Hotel Trades Council, AFL-CIO, is an equal opportunity employer. All persons regardless of age, race, ethnicity, gender, religious affiliation or sexual orientation are encouraged to apply. People of color and women are strongly urged to apply.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information online at UNIONJOBS.COM.