Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Local 99 is the largest schools employees union in California. We represent more than 45,000 members working in public schools, including Los Angeles Unified School District. We also represent educational workers at non-profit community agencies including Head Start and State Preschool programs.
CLASSIFICATION: Exempt, Full-Time
The Organizing Director plans and implements the external organizing program for the Local, striving to organize and unite all workers within Local 99’s assigned jurisdiction.
• Works as part of the union’s senior leadership team to develop and implement the long term strategic growth plan.
• Leads planning, strategy, and implementation of all organizing drives.
• Supervises research to identify and assess potential organizing targets.
• Works with Political and Communications departments to implement comprehensive campaign components.
• Works with International Union to acquire any additional resources needed to implement organizing drives.
• Manages the annual organizing budget.
• Hires, trains, supports and oversees Organizers, Researchers and Administrative Support staff in the External Organizing Department.
• Deepens the union’s commitment to organizing
• Serves as staff facilitator to the SEIU Local 99 Member Organizing Committee to involve member leaders in campaigns
• Other duties as assigned
• Computer programs including Word, email and accessing the Internet
• Organizing methodology
• Relate, establish and cultivate respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds
• Discern priorities and meet competing deadlines.
• Listen, write and verbally communicate at a high comprehension level in English, Bilingual Spanish skills a plus.
• Quickly and efficiently maintain a professional and team atmosphere while meeting tight deadlines under pressure with conflicting demands
• Understand and commit to SEIU Local 99’s members and mission
• Independently implement SEIU's overall goals and expectations in a competent and professional manner
• Relate, establish and cultivate respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds.
• Work long, varied hours including nights, weekends and holidays
• Speak other languages, Spanish desirable
• Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent experience
• Four years of experience as a union staff person with increasing responsibility.
• Organizing independently and as a part of a team.
• 4+ years of leading or supervising in External Organizing
• Labor or organizing work desirable
• Public interest issues and campaigns desirable
• Commitment to the social and economic justice of all working people.
• Must be able to drive and maintain a valid driver’s license, auto insurance, and reliable automobile.
• Drive long distances, travel statewide and out-of -state with overnights and periods away from home may be required.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience and an excellent benefit package.
TO APPLY: Please submit resume and cover letter to: https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=1095651
SEIU is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information online at UNIONJOBS.COM.